Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Jonathan Richman: Jonathan Gets His Radio On.

Although I spent quality time in high school listening to Jonathan Richman, it would be more than a decade later before I'd actually see him in concert -- performing solo, with hide nor hair of a Modern Lover backing him. I was exposed to Richman via a compilation that included his demos of the songs "I'm Straight" and "Government Center" (an absolute favorite of mine).

Prior to seeing him in the early '90s at Herman's Hideaway in Denver, I'd heard that Richman never performed his most noted song "Roadrunner" anymore. Richman surprised me: he played "Roadrunner" as part of a medley that also included "La Bamba" and "Twist and Shout." Guess Jonathan knows a Golden Oldie when he hears, er, has written it. Good thing, too.

No comments: