Thursday, November 1, 2007

Chad Ferguson (#1): I Meant To Do That!

RIP, Chad Ferguson (1963-2005)


Chad Ferguson
(Cage of Reason,
Ham Hoc War Lox,
Triage),
bonking about
in his inimitable way,
playing percussion:
drums, saw blade,
the tiny metal ring
that goes
"Ping!"

Competitors, we
excelled on
the same team:
4/4 riff driven
by a 7/4 -- or
what have you --
rhythm.

Our lives,
separately, or
as a band of brothers,
bittersweet,
confused.

I remain
mightily impressed
by his drumming prowess,
humbled by his friendship,

His image tonight
adorning my
Dia de los Muertos shrine,

Reminding me
that when I play
a haywire note,
just pretend as if
I meant to do it.


*****

[ED.: 7/20/15: Two musical tracks of the band Ham Hoc War Lox, featuring Chad Ferguson, can be found here. Please pass that on to your Facebook friends.]

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Chad was a good friend of my brother Greg, and I knew him for most of my life. The last time I saw him was at Greg's funeral, and then a few years later I heard he took his own life.

It's a f*cking waste.

Unknown said...

Chad was a good friend of mine for many years. We played drums together throughout college and in many bands in Denver. This is the first I've heard of his...death??? Really? Could someone fill me in please? jeff@blottodesign.com

KavehRastegar said...

Chad used to play drums in a band with my stepfather called Cage Of Reason. I used to see them play all the time when I was a kid. I'm living in LA now and make my living as a bass player and have very vivid memories of Chad playing the drums and sounding beautiful. I'm really sad to hear of his passing.