Saturday, February 23, 2008

William Gibson (#1): A Mirror(shades) Reflection.


Writer William Gibson signing books at the Tattered Cover bookstore. February 12, 2003.

Here are excerpts from a conversation of mine with Gibson that took place in the once-futuristic year of 1988, the year that his cyberpunk book Mona Lisa Overdrive was released.

Gibson told me during our talk: "A guy at [a book signing] came up to me--I'd signed his books--and asked, 'Will this be worth more when you die?' And I said, 'Uh, I don't know. Maybe marginally.' He then asked, 'How old are you?' I said, 'Don't hold your breath.' He looked at the book, and he looked really sad, and he said, 'You know I was hoping to make some money getting these books signed,' and he wandered away. He wasn't being cruel. He was just stupid."

No comments: