Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Wheelchair Sports Camp (#1): Roll Another One.


Rapper Kalyn Heffernan of Wheelchair Sports Camp rolled one for High Times, and I just so happened to be the scribe along for the ride. My article on the hip hop group was published in the magazine's February 2013 issue.

Some of my favorite Kalyn quotes weren't able to be included in the piece. So here they are -- for the first time anywhere!:

*

On being a disabled rapper doing what she does:

"I have to be okay with myself, and not just okay but happy with myself."

On the notoriety that her group has accrued -- in large part, due to her:
 
"If press was money, we'd be filthy rich right now."

On whether she uses marijuana medicinally:

"Medical marijuana doesn’t really help with anything besides my stoner addiction."

On her incorporating unauthorized samples of some major recording artists:

"What are they gonna take: my wheelchair?"

*
 Hell no! Give the woman a gold-plated one.



No comments: